Tracker

[new feature] Fightopedia (wiki for MeetFighters)

I am thinking about a user-editable "wiki" within MeetFighters, similar to Wikipedia, but concentrating on the topics of the site.

It could contain pages:

• Explaining each fighting style (Olympic, Submission, Sumo, etc.)
  • Explaining each interest (What is promission, folkstyle, jobber, etc.)
  • Tips for beginners
  • Tips for new site members
etc.

I would, initially, limit editing to senior members of the site, that is, anyone who has been with us for at least a year.

Questions:

• Would you find such a wiki useful?
  • Would you contribute?
Last edited on 11/29/2014 3:46 PM by Admin

YORKIE (39 platinum) 8/04/2014 7:06 PM

As a beginner I would find it enormously useful, and would contribute offering a beginner's point-of-view.

Great idea!

Simon

darkwin369 (0) 8/06/2014 1:14 PM

Good idea.
Also if you want to make it "user editable" I would recommend you the WIKI to moderate (or moderate let).
Harald

Lugi (112) 8/18/2014 12:46 AM

I personally like this idea, and would contribute to such a feature, but may I raise 2 issues:
- The language issue ( pages could have their languages equivalent pages ? )
- If\How the moderation would be implemented

I have been an active french Wikipedia moderator and a Wikiversity contributor for many years, and I know how interesting and useful such wiki projects can be, but also how difficult it could be as well when it comes down to moderation. For example, today at Wikipedia, despite project groups, Recent Changes Patrollers, hundreds of bots for automation actions and anti- "vandalism", deciding votes, there are still everyday fights between contributors, with some articles which are changed a dozen of times in a couple of hours.

Admin 8/18/2014 9:08 AM

I should hope that a Fightopedia would involve fewer controversial issues than Wikipedia does.

edscissors (14 platinum) 8/30/2014 11:03 AM

Sounds like a very good idea.
Edward

looney45 (17 gold) 8/30/2014 10:14 PM

Excellent idea would be useful for everyone - I do agree that the editing should be limited to members that have a proven reputation rather than anyone who wants to - you could limit editing further by ensuring the members editing are donor members (might be a bit too far but just a thought)

sub-aqua (66 silver) 8/31/2014 10:40 PM

It would be a great idea - a lot of potential.

I could see this having a shaky start, even before the 'veteran members only' restriction is lifted, as it's still open to vandalism (even accidental) thanks to Murphy's Law - although wikis have ways to prevent this, like page protection and discussion/talk subpages to discuss what goes on before putting it on the main page - but once that bit is over, it'd be a valuable tool!

I agree with Lugi's issues, and with his experience it seems he knows a few ways around this!

ladron fr (43 translator) 9/06/2014 8:26 AM

Good idea, I'm just anxious about translation, maybe "source" language must be respected ?
Don't know
Whatever will be decided, I'm sure it will be the best decision ... as a lot of things here in this site.
:-) .

matthias (74 gold) 9/06/2014 11:41 AM

It's a nice idea but, personally, I would not use it much. I don't think the topic is very deep. I.e., all examples mentioned in the proposal but one ("promission") are already covered by Wikipedia and "Beginners Tips" can be covered in the Forums or in a FAQ. Setting up a Wiki, moderating it, translating it, enforcing policy on it, copyright, fighting vandalism and hacking, making it ready for mobile, etc. sounds like a lot of work. I also personally would not add another feature to a site which already is a little bit hard to get used to: I'm OK now but I remember when I first joined it took a while to discover and navigate between so many things: profiles, blogs, forums, interest groups, chat, messages, meetings, videos.

What is the concrete user need this would solve? If it's "many questions asked by newbies" you have probably less work and also good results by refining existing features. I.e., add an easy-to-find interest group / forum for newbies with a good (moderated) FAQ.

MCRLON30UK (55 bronze) 9/08/2014 3:04 AM

I think this is a great idea.

However, I think editing etc. should be restricted to senior or similar site members. Just to prevent any silly edit... silliness.

At least at the start, non minor edits should be approved before going live.

If people have questions or comments each wiki page will have its talk page.

Churd (85 support) 9/12/2014 3:09 PM

Yes a very good idea. I agree with MCRLON23UK about who gets to edit things, that's the key here.

sczrlokd (0 silver) 9/23/2014 5:53 PM

I like the idea ---- I'd also help from a beginner's point of view... as I learn stuff, I like to teach it.

fightguy (20 gold) 11/20/2014 4:36 AM

Yes...a good idea, likely very useful to some, maybe not so for others. And yes, it would seem to present many potential problems to be sorted out. There is a bit of truth in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

jared (0) 11/20/2014 7:04 AM

Yes it would be a helpful tool especially for novices that are not familiar with different terms, holds, fighting styles and even slang words.

User-editable can be a dangerous feature. Someone can wreak havoc with that tool. Just takes one asshole trying to be funny to screw it up.

The Kestrel (47 support) 3/01/2015 4:21 PM

I think it is a great idea, an interesting feature which could help new guys start off better, but i feel you could restrict the editor requirements even further, like a minimum amount of 10 past opponents say...

It is nice saying 1 year members only though even in a year they may not have correct grasp of what the input without the experience, which could mislead new guys. There are many guys on here that may want to contribute (myself included i guess) that have been on here for over a year and know very little.

Get this thing going though admin, another spot on idea, you are wizard!

Kes

Admin 3/02/2015 6:38 AM

Thank you.
Also, if you want to try your hand at contributing, you can. I gave you editor access.

Admin

fightguy (20 gold) 3/01/2015 5:39 PM

Yes I would find it interesting and useful, and yes I would contribute if I wished.

Tigerrific (33 bronze) 3/02/2015 3:13 AM

Hi, I can contribute some coloured artwork in depicting moves, settings etc. I think it would also be nice to showcase the many fighting styles across the world.

Admin 3/02/2015 6:39 AM

That would be amazing! Wow, I never thought someone would actually contribute art.
I'm giving you editor access now.

Tigerrific (33 bronze) 3/02/2015 11:50 AM

Thank you! I'll get to work on some moves and propose them for your review asap :-)

bradleyj (8 silver) 7/27/2015 9:23 PM

Id like to contribute also. I like to add onto the fighting styles and variations. And also moderate for grammatical errors as neatness to read and organized.

Admin 7/28/2015 12:04 PM

You now have write access to FightPedia.
Thanks!

Tigerrific (33 bronze) 7/28/2015 2:06 AM

Hey! There is a Fightpedia video library already in existence. I see it seems to be owned by some 'Factum crossfit and MMA'. Is it related at all to the Fightpedia proposed here?

Admin 7/28/2015 12:04 PM

First I hear about it. :)

Tigerrific (33 bronze) 7/28/2015 3:27 PM

Haha alright. I'm also really sorry about the delay in sending my artwork. I'll send over some next month for sure!

ukboxer (4 silver) 7/28/2015 8:21 AM

Sounds a great idea, will be very useful for new members

ukboxer

Tigerrific (33 bronze) 8/23/2015 9:33 AM

Simple sketch of a simple move: full nelson Please log in to view gallery photos.

Tigerrific (33 bronze) 8/23/2015 9:44 AM

Sorry, the previous pic I posted was not completely edited yet. Here's the sketch I intended Please log in to view gallery photos.

Rock Hard Pete (31) 8/30/2016 9:24 PM

I like the idea of a Wiki page for Meetfighters. There are some terms such as promission that I cannot find in dictionary.com or Wikipedia.

newsp67 (9 gold) 9/12/2016 8:07 PM

It's very interesting. I suggest to make a Portuguese version, as much as French, Spanish or German - for those who cannot speak English.

boxtpntx (0 bronze) 12/10/2016 5:45 PM

Yes, it is a good idea and I think it would be beneficial to everyone! Also add a "translator" button for our international friends.

kevinsantana (4 bronze) 12/10/2016 8:43 PM

Yes I would like to be apart of this and I would contribute as much as I can from all my experiences

Your Profile